Tuesday, September 27, 2016

5 Things I Loved About Brisbane



A little outdated but I thought that it'll be great to finally talk about my spontaneous trip to Brisbane. I was going through a dark season at that time: a creative burn-out, the end of a friendship, lack of focus and dealing with rejection. It was an impulsive decision to book a flight just days before landing with my family, since I had initially said no to going with them. Looking back, I really think that it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Here's what I loved about Brisbane:

1. The Laid Back Culture
I loved that the locals would spread out their mats and lie on the grass, regardless if it's a work day or a weekend. It was odd to see people in corporate garb lying down on the grass after having their lunch. It was also odd to me that people walked slower, articulated their words properly and enjoyed simple things like grabbing beers after work and mowing the lawn. I liked that there were birds singing (though it did get a little bit annoying after a while), I liked that the weather was great and that people smiled at you when you smiled at them.


2. The Farmers' Market
One word: amazing! Lots of food (I had the best Danish pancakes and seafood paella), fresh produce, organic soaps/skincare, vintage clothes, old books, coffee trucks, live music, dogs! I looted a bunch of organic hemp seed soaps, a wide brimmed black hat and a book of poetry by Tolkien for the boyfriend. I wish I had taken more photos to capture the scene. Going to a farmers' market like this one was a great refresher from the wet pasar that I was used to back home.


3. The good food (and dessert, coffee, etc)
Swiss ice-cream, Italian gelato, Ben & Jerry's, soft serve. I went crazy with the bunch of ice-cream coupons I had. I found the taste a lot richer than the ones back home, the portions were generous and the variety was nicer. Same went to the food and coffee. It was so nice to be able to grab quality food for a good price, which all came with impeccable customer service. I had coffee every single day of the week that I was there and the best part was that I did not experience any form of acid reflux, lactose intolerance or tremors. My dad insists that it's the milk but I think otherwise.




4. The fact that people were nice and courteous
Growing up in Malaysia, I've been used to being around rude people and experiencing horrible customer service. I actually found it odd that people were generally friendly with 'how are you?'s thrown in almost all the time, even while paying for groceries. I like that the locals were helpful and that the service crew, from the train station staff to the waiter, were respectful and polite. The church that we went to (Anne Street) was beautiful and the people were so friendly. I'm really glad that my sister is plugged in there and growing in her faith with a bunch of people that really know the Word.


5. The overall vibe
I like that the vibe in the city was very liberating. I felt safe wondering alone around Queens Plaza and South Bank. It felt good to see women dress the way they want and speak however they want. It was nice to see a more matured side to a city: no litter, no one spitting by the side of the road, no cat-calling. I saw street musicians everywhere and people actually stopping to spare some change and to enjoy the music. My mom and I went on a Heritage Trail with a bunch of other tourists and it was a great experience to spend 2 hours exploring and learning about the city from a historical perspective. It was quite obvious that my family (especially my dad) had taken quite a liking to Brisbane.






The trip was refreshing, both creatively and personally. I came home armed with healthy ingredients and soaps to last till my next trip. I hope to have the chance to explore other parts of Australia, like Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. As of now, I can't wait to return in 2018 when my sister graduates!

No comments:

Post a Comment